European Heritage Open Day 2015
European Heritage Open Day
Saturday 12th September 2015
First Lisburn Presbyterian Church
Renovated, restored, reopened in April 2015
One of the central churches in the City Centre, the newly-designed, spacious, flexible sanctuary retains much of its original architecture, decorated gallery and magnificent stained-glass windows, including The Resurrection Window, a memorial to the 1981 bomb blast in the town.
The congregation began in 1688 in a wooden structure in Longstone Street with the installation of its first minister, the Reverend Alexander McCracken. This building was destroyed in the Great Fire of Lisburn in 1707. The present building was built in 1710, rebuilt in 1768, enlarged and remodelled in 1873 and 1970, and again remodelled and restored between 2013 and 2015.
Visitors will have the opportunity to:
- follow a self-guided Church Trail
- view rolling pictorial presentations of the history of the church and the recent renovations
- listen to a live organ recital
- browse early marriage and baptismal records
- enjoy refreshments on offer in the new contemporary Coffee Dock in the Welcome Area
COME AND BRING YOUR FRIENDS